As a Personal Trainer, especially in Bondi, a day doesn’t go by without a client or local discussing their Vegetarian Lifestyle. It seems like its almost trendy to be a Vego. But whats inside a Vegetarian diet and what does this mean for your Performance?
It’s pretty obvious, but being a vegetarian means eliminating many foods from animals. Typically vegetarian diets exclude meat and poultry, but may also eliminate fish, eggs, milk, cheese, butter, etc. depending on personal preference. And you may be wondering if it’s right for you. Here’s a closer look.
• Your diet is typically rich in fibre, with lots of fruits & vegetables.
• You usually don’t eat as much saturated fat.
• No meat, poultry, fish, or dairy means you must be strategic about your protein intake to get the essential amino acids your body needs to maintain health as well as recover and rebuild muscle after exercise.
• It could be diffcult to get certain vitamins and minerals that are found only in meat proteins.
• Be diligent to get protein at each meal.
• Complete proteins are best for helping muscles
recover after exercise – foods with whey or milk protein, like Greek yogurt, a smoothie blended with ATHLETIX Whey Protein Powder
and almond milk, are ideal.
• If you choose to avoid all animal based products, products with soy protein are an alternative choice to support muscle recovery.